Raichur District is known for its rich heritage. Maski in Raichur district is home to an inscription dating back to the time of Emperor Ashoka. The region has been ruled by several dynasties including the Mauryas, Shatavahanas, Kakatiyas, the Rashtrakutas, Vijayanagar kings, Bahmani Sultans and Nizams at different points in history. Evidence of these glorious dynasties are present in the form of the many forts and temples that dot the district. The Raichur fort has been standing tall ever since the time of the Chalukyas of Badami. Later, it was during the reign of the Chalukyas of Kalyana that the fort was renovated. The Kakatiyas of Warangal sought to strengthen the fort further in 1294 AD. According to a Kakatiya edict, the inner tiers of the fort were built during the administration of Vithalanatha, a commander of the army of a prince Goregannayya Reddy who ruled under Rani Rudramma Devi. The Vijayanagara King, Krishnadevaraya, built the north entrance in celebration of one of his conquests, according to some historians. Another fort that draws attention in the Raichur region is the Mudgal fort. This fort, it is said was built in 1053, by a landlord called Muddappa Reddy. There is mention of the same in the Nizamshahi Gazette. The Bahmani Sultans, Vijayanagar kings and the Adil Shahis of Bijapur, all went into war with each other over the conquest of this fort. The Mudgal fort has seen many a battle over the centuries. After the battle of Rakkasatangadi in 1565, the fort fell into the hands of the Adil Shahis. The Mudgal of then, ruled by many dynasties, is now a small town in Lingasugur taluk. Talk about Lingasugur and one has to mention ‘Jaladurga’ a historic fort in the taluk, that was ruled by Vijayanagar kings, Bijapur’s Adilshahis and Bahmani Sultans. The fort is known to have had a huge vault, where riches were stored. There is mention in historical texts that those who were sentenced for life were known to have been pushed from the top of the fort into the river Krishna flowing nearby. Ten kilometres away from Raichur is the Maliabad fort, which was strengthened during the time of the Kakatiyas in the 13th century. The outer layer of the fort was built in the 15th century.
A popular Adil Shahi legend has it that the kings of that dynasty had chased and caught a “bolt of lightning and later hung it in front of the world famous Gol Gumbaz in Bijapur.” And that ‘bolt of lightning’ can be spotted even today! Tied in a tripod-like ring and hung through a solid rust-resistant steel chain on the facade of the Gol Gumbaz, the ‘bolt of lightning’ that can be seen only from a close angle, has been a subject of curious debate for people in this part of Karnataka for centuries. Known as sidilu among local people, this object is in reality a piece of meteorite. There is an interesting story associated with the meteorite. A story that talks of the Adil Shahi Sultans’ faith in astrology and how the meteorite metamorphosed into ‘lightning’. Local legend has it that the meteorite landed in a village where the Gol Gumbaz was being constructed.
On hearing the news, Mohammed Ali Adil Shah, who built the Gol Gumbaz, personally went to the site to bring the piece of rock from space in a grand procession. A strong believer in astrology, King Mohammed Ali thought it was a good omen and would help him expand his kingdom further if it was preserved safely. Therefore, he brought the meteorite and hung it on the facade of the Gol Gumbaz. This meteorite was almost forgotten after the Adil Shahi dynasty collapsed in the late 17th century. Later, many stories were concocted around it and there was an aura of mystery surrounding the meteorite. But it was Henry Cousens, a British officer who served as the chief archaeology officer in Western India in 1896, who re-discovered and recorded it.
‘Rare piece of rock’
Talking about this artefact in his magnum opus ‘Ruins of Bijapur City,’ Cousens says, “This is a rare piece of rock and believed to bring good luck to those who possess it. Therefore, Mohammed Ali Adil Shah might have brought and dangled it before the Gol Gumbaz.” H Venkateshaiah, the Regional Director of the Archeological Survey of India (ASI), also endorses this theory. After the Adil Shahis, only Cousens had the opportunity to touch this object during the Gol Gumbaz renovation during his period. There were no proper records available about this meteorite after the Adil Shahi dynasty ended. Because it resembles lightning, a majority of people in the region still think that it causes havoc when it strikes. They continue to believe that it was the great Adil Shahi kings who chased and caught ‘lightning’ and later hung it in front of the Gol Gumbaz, without verifying the authenticity of the information.Ironically, in an era of huge advancements in science and technology, people in the region refuse to believe that it is a meteorite.
Article from DHNS
Malik-e-Maidan (Monarch of the Plan) is one of the largest bell metal guns in the world, it measures 4.45 m in length, 1.5 m in diameter & weighs 55 tons. Placed on the walls of the city on the one of the bastions of the fort (called the Buruz or Lion Tower), this was built on the orders of Burham Nizam Shah I for his son-in-law Adil Shah. A unique feature of this legendary cannon is that it is always cool to touch even under the blazing sun & when tapped gently it tinkles softly like a bell. The muzzle of the gun is shaped like the head of a lion with open jaws & between the carved fangs is depicted an elephant being crushed to death
The beautiful Ibrahim Rauza (1627) is the mausoleum complex where Ibrahim Adil Shah II is buried with his queen, Taj Sultana. Exceptionally conceived and finely decorated, it is one of the supreme achievements of the Adil Shahis. Designed by a Persian architect, Malik Sandal, the tomb and a mosque are set in a walled garden facing each other over an ornamental pond. Graceful minarets mark the corners of each building, surmounted by a dome rising from a lotus petal base. The tomb is supposed to have been an inspiration for the Taj Mahal at Agra.