Raichur: Steeped in history DHNS
Raichur District is known for its rich heritage. Maski in Raichur district is home to an inscription dating back to the time of Emperor Ashoka. The region has been ruled by several dynasties including the Mauryas, Shatavahanas, Kakatiyas, the Rashtrakutas, Vijayanagar kings, Bahmani Sultans and Nizams at different points in history. Evidence of these glorious dynasties are present in the form of the many forts and temples that dot the district. The Raichur fort has been standing tall ever since the time of the Chalukyas of Badami. Later, it was during the reign of the Chalukyas of Kalyana that the fort was renovated. The Kakatiyas of Warangal sought to strengthen the fort further in 1294 AD. According to a Kakatiya edict, the inner tiers of the fort were built during the administration of Vithalanatha, a commander of the army of a prince Goregannayya Reddy who ruled under Rani Rudramma Devi. The Vijayanagara King, Krishnadevaraya, built the north entrance in celebration of one of his conquests, according to some historians. Another fort that draws attention in the Raichur region is the Mudgal fort. This fort, it is said was built in 1053, by a landlord called Muddappa Reddy. There is mention of the same in the Nizamshahi Gazette. The Bahmani Sultans, Vijayanagar kings and the Adil Shahis of Bijapur, all went into war with each other over the conquest of this fort. The Mudgal fort has seen many a battle over the centuries. After the battle of Rakkasatangadi in 1565, the fort fell into the hands of the Adil Shahis. The Mudgal of then, ruled by many dynasties, is now a small town in Lingasugur taluk. Talk about Lingasugur and one has to mention ‘Jaladurga’ a historic fort in the taluk, that was ruled by Vijayanagar kings, Bijapur’s Adilshahis and Bahmani Sultans. The fort is known to have had a huge vault, where riches were stored. There is mention in historical texts that those who were sentenced for life were known to have been pushed from the top of the fort into the river Krishna flowing nearby. Ten kilometres away from Raichur is the Maliabad fort, which was strengthened during the time of the Kakatiyas in the 13th century. The outer layer of the fort was built in the 15th century.